History                                                                                            

 

Around 1640, members of the New Haven Colony purchased the area now Greenwich from the Indians for “twenty-five English soldiers coats.”

In 1675 Thomas Lyon acquired a sizeable tract of farmland along the Byram River, settling here with his wife Martha Johanna Winthrop.

 

The Lyon family built their homestead alone with barns, a cider press and numerous stonewalls, which criss-cross the property.

Apple trees, cornfields and pastures occupied the property for 300 years.

 

In the mid 1970’s the Lyon family sold most of the remaining land to Arthur Collins and his partners, Arthur Emil and

William Purcell keeping the original homestead and barns.

 

Lyon Farm was developed using the old New England village concept, where buildings were built clustered around a central mall, for comfort and security. This use of land was recognized with the Honor Design Award from the Connecticut Society of Architects as “an excellent example of land use that conserves large areas of open space.” Lyon Farm was also awarded House and Home magazine’s Award of Merit in its Homes for Better Living Awards Program, as well as the very first Architectural Award from the Greenwich Arts Council.

 

Home :: History :: Members Only :: Photos :: Contact Us

2004 West Lyon Farm Condominium Association, Inc.